Canoe Tripping Basics
Whether you're new to canoeing or upgrading your skillset, this foundational day course is for you! We help prepare you for a safe and confident day on the water. Special focus is placed on safety, planning, environmental responsibility, comfort, and of course spending actual time on a local waterway with certified and experienced outdoor instructor. This interactive learning experience will surely provide you with confidence and foundational skillset to build upon a lifetime of outdoor adventure.
*Timelines are approximate and subject to change.
1. Self Care While Outdoors (9:00 to 10:00am) - We begin the day with understanding the importance of self care in the outdoor context. We discuss topics that build up a knowledge base to ensure students have insight into comfortable, safe and responsible outdoor activity.
- Motivations & Personal Goals.
- Dressing for the Conditions.
- Maintaining Energy Levels (nutrition & hydration).
- Environmental Responsibility.
- Hygiene & Toileting.
2. Trip Planning (10:15 to 11:45pm) - Students will be able to choose an appropriate destination to go and create a realistic trip plan. Together, we will build a well thought out plan with with an easy to follow Trip Planning Worksheet.
- Activities, Route & Scheduling.
- Risk Management (Identifying Hazards & Creating Defences).
- Emergency Planning & Preparedness.
- Equipment Planning & Packing.
- Permits, Permissions, & Etiquette.
3. Foundational Outdoor Skills (12:15 - 1:45pm) - Students will learn important outdoor skills for practical use on any outdoor event as well as for emergency situations. The skills taught MAY include and are not limited to:
- Fire Building & Safety.
- Knife/Axe Safety.
- Stove Use & Outdoor Cooking.
- Water Purification.
- Tarp/Shelter (tent) Set Up.
- Packing & Outfitting.
4. Field Experience (2:00 to 5:00pm) - This practical trail experience is overseen with a certified guides, at a leisure pace and includes skills relevant to the course offered (canoeing, hiking or snowshoeing). Students will have ample opportunity to enjoy local parks while practicing skills while on in the field and engaging in an ongoing discussion of safe and responsible outdoor activity.
- Pre-trip Checks.
- Basic Paddling Strokes.
- Paddling Maneuvers & Balance.
- Basic Map Reading.
- Low Impact Travel (Leave No Trace).
- Environmental Awareness.
We operate our courses rain or shine, UNLESS our guide(s) deem it unsafe due to lightning or heavy rains and/or unsafe water conditions such as high waves or strong winds. We typically adjust the course to remain safe. We MAY cancel tours due to low enrolment if we have less than 4 participants.
In light of this, any cancelations initiated by Wilderland Adventure Co. will be fully refunded.
Cancelations initiated by participants are subject to the following terms:
1. Cancelations made more than 21 days in advance of the tour start date are fully refundable.
2. Cancellations made 21 to 14 days in advance of the course start date will forfeit a $25 cancellation fee, and will receive refund of remaining balance paid.
3. Cancellations made less than 14 days in advance of the course start date will forfeit any balance payments made.