Learn to CANOE
For the beginner paddler or those wishing to expand basic paddling knowledge into day tripping, this foundational course is for you! We help prepare you for a safe and responsible outdoor activity through an introduction to skills and benefits of paddling, and build awareness of paddling opportunities in Manitoba expansive waterways. Special focus is placed on safety, planning, environmental responsibility, comfort, and of course spending actual time paddling with certified and experienced outdoor leaders. More than a guided tour, this interactive learning experience will surely provide you with confidence and foundational skillset to build upon a lifetime of paddling adventures.
Duration: 8 Hours (approx.)
Prerequisites: Must be 16 years of age or older by course date. Minors (under 18 years old) MUST be accompanied by a parent/guardian.
Course Format & Objectives:
1. Self Care While Outdoors (9:00 to 10:00am) - We begin the day with understanding the importance of self care in the outdoor context. We discuss topics that build up a knowledge base to ensure students have insight into comfortable, safe and responsible outdoor activity.
- Motivations & Personal Goals.
- Dressing for the Conditions.
- Maintaining Energy Levels (nutrition & hydration).
- Environmental Responsibility.
- Hygiene & Toileting.
2. Trip Planning (10:15 to 11:45am) - Students will be able to choose an appropriate destination to paddle and create a realistic trip plan. Together, we will build a well thought out plan with with an easy to follow Trip Planning worksheet.
- Activities, Route & Scheduling.
- Risk Management (Identifying Hazards & Creating Defences).
- Emergency Planning & Preparedness.
- Equipment Planning & Packing.
- Permits, Permissions, & Etiquette.
3. Camping Skills (12:15 to 2:15pm) - Students will learn important camping skills for practical use on multi-day trips as well as for emergency situations on day events. The skills taught MAY include and are not limited to:
- Fire Building & Safety.
- Knife/Axe Safety.
- Stove Use & Outdoor Cooking.
- Water Purification.
- Tarp/Shelter (tent) Set Up.
- Packing & Outfitting a boat.
4. Canoe Tour (2:30 to 5:00pm) - This canoe tour starts with an hour or more of basic paddling strokes, water safety, and getting comfortable in the canoe. After we’ve established strong balance and ability control our boats, we head out on canoe tour and learning practical day tripping fundamentals. Overseen with a certified guides, this beginner friendly paddle will be at a more leisure pace and include ongoing practice and discussion of safe and responsible day paddling.
- Basic Canoe Skills (Lifting & carrying, paddling strokes, safe entry & exit, and more).
- Pre-trip Checks.
- Paddling, Pacing, & Breaks.
- Basic Navigation & Landmarking.
- No Impact Paddling (Leave No Trace).
- Environmental Awareness.
- Local Heritage.
Participant Expectations: Students are expected to fully participate in this course with no exceptions. Students are responsible for transportation, personal food, hygiene, and equipment throughout the course. Students must also acquire appropriate Manitoba Parks Vehicle Permit (if applicable to course location). Students must be comfortable in water, though we wear mandatory PFD’s & may not actually get wet. Please contact us if you have any questions or concerns.
What is Provided: Students receive a pre-trip email with an updated packing list, and course itinerary. We provide a Student Course Manual, emergency communication device, medical kit, and certified Outdoor Council of Canada & Paddle Canada field leader. For class demonstrations and and education purposes we provide a diverse set of equipment (tarps, fire starting materials, water filters, cooking stoves, etc) for class use. We also provide boats, paddles, PFD’s Transport Canada approved safety equipment.
Course Details: This course will run with a minimum of 4 participants and a maximum of 10 with an instructor, within the boundaries of current MB Health Orders at the date of the course.
Our Learn to Canoe course is curricular based, though we create flexibility to present the content throughout the day in the order that is most suitable based upon conditions, group interests, and other circumstances.
This course is designed to be an ongoing conversation. The equipment choices, methods, and opinions are solely to inspire learning and dialogue to further the interests and knowledge of our students. We welcome friendly conversation about experiences and knowledge of everyone in our courses.
Gratuities are not included in the course fees and recognition of a good job by your instructor is greatly appreciated. 10-15% of your course fee is recommended as our instructors put diligent effort to ensure your course is all you expected and more. Cash is preferred and can be given directly to your instructor(s).
Private Courses: We offer private courses and offer discounts of 6+ participants. Contact us to learn more.
Cancellation Policies: We offer a full refund for cancellations at MINIMUM 30 days in advance of your course date. 50% of course fees are forfeited after that date and NO REFUNDS will be issued within 14 days of the course date.
In the unlikely event that we cancel the course due to weather conditions, we will offer an alternative course date or credit for another available tour or course.