Canoeing Basics Course
Beginner / Moderate Activity
Whether you're new to the outdoors or upgrading your skillset, these foundational day courses are for you! We help prepare you for a safe and responsible hiking, paddling, or winter day trips through Manitoba's diverse landscapes. Special focus is placed on safety, planning, environmental responsibility, comfort, and of course spending actual time on a local trail with certified and experienced outdoor leaders. More than a guided tour, this interactive learning experience will surely provide you with confidence and foundational skillset to build upon a lifetime of outdoor adventure.
🧭 Approx. 8 Hours
✅ Certified & Experienced Instructor.
✅ All Equipment.
✅ Student Learning Manual.
➡️ Foundational Courses are suitable for ages 14 and up. Minors (under age 18) need to be accompanied by a parent/guardian UNLESS part of a private course facilitated by an school or community organization.
➡️ Students are expected to fully participate in this course and must be able to hike or paddle comfortably for 3-4 kilometres at a moderate pace. Please contact us if you have any questions or concerns.
➡️ For each course to run, we require a minimum of 4 students.
➡️ This is a curricular based course, though we create flexibility to present the content throughout the day in the order that is most suitable based on group interests, conditions, and other circumstances.
➡️ This course is designed to be an ongoing conversation. The equipment choices, methods, and opinions are solely to inspire learning and dialogue to further the interests and knowledge of our students. We welcome friendly conversation about experiences and knowledge of everyone in our courses.
Course Format & Objectives:
*Timelines are approximate and subject to change.
1. Self Care While Outdoors (9:00 to 10:00am) - We begin the day with understanding the importance of self care in the outdoor context. We discuss topics that build up a knowledge base to ensure students have insight into comfortable, safe and responsible outdoor activity.
- Motivations & Personal Goals.
- Dressing for the Conditions.
- Maintaining Energy Levels (nutrition & hydration).
- Environmental Responsibility.
- Hygiene & Toileting.
2. Trip Planning (10:15 to 11:45pm) - Students will be able to choose an appropriate destination to go and create a realistic trip plan. Together, we will build a well thought out plan with with an easy to follow Trip Planning Worksheet.
- Activities, Route & Scheduling.
- Risk Management (Identifying Hazards & Creating Defences).
- Emergency Planning & Preparedness.
- Equipment Planning & Packing.
- Permits, Permissions, & Etiquette.
3. Foundational Outdoor Skills (12:15 - 1:45pm) - Students will learn important outdoor skills for practical use on any outdoor event as well as for emergency situations. The skills taught MAY include and are not limited to:
- Fire Building & Safety.
- Knife/Axe Safety.
- Stove Use & Outdoor Cooking.
- Water Purification.
- Tarp/Shelter (tent) Set Up.
- Packing & Outfitting.
4. Field Experience (2:00 to 5:00pm) - This practical trail experience is overseen with a certified guides, at a leisure pace and includes skills relevant to the course offered (canoeing, hiking or snowshoeing). Students will have ample opportunity to enjoy local parks while practicing skills while on in the field and engaging in an ongoing discussion of safe and responsible outdoor activity.
- Pre-trip Checks.
- Stepping, Pacing, & Breaks.
- Map Reading.
- No Impact Hiking (Leave No Trace).
- Environmental Awareness.
We operate our courses rain or shine, UNLESS our guide(s) deem it unsafe due to lightning or heavy rains and/or unsafe water conditions such as high waves or strong winds. We typically adjust the course to remain safe. We MAY cancel tours due to low enrolment if we have less than 4 participants.
In light of this, any cancelations initiated by Wilderland Adventure Co. will be fully refunded.
Cancelations initiated by participants are subject to the following terms:
1. Cancelations made more than 21 days in advance of the tour start date are fully refundable.
2. Cancellations made 21 to 14 days in advance of the course start date will forfeit the deposit payment, and will receive refund of remaining balance paid.
3. Cancellations made less than 14 days in advance of the course start date will forfeit the deposit and any balance payments made.